I once created a cooking class, called 'Zen in the Kitchen'. Then wrote a book called the same. Then started the group with that name and the blog came after. All this happened in Turkish. Now is the time for the English version of it. Let's see what will cook here!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Roasted peppers for pasta


I love the recipes that arrive as a bonus. So simple, so unforgettable, so appetizing, so unexpected. I love recipes that are created through a question: "What if?" What if I make a pasta sauce with the roasted peppers, that are sitting on the counter? Was my question. It was fall and I was buying kilos of red, sweet peppers each time I go to the farmers' market. I love them roasted. A wonderful addition to already colorful fall breakfasts; with some olive oil, homemade vinegar, sea salt, garlic and thyme (fresh or dried). That time, one of those gorgeous days in Antalya, I washed the peppers, roasted them (in the oven, around 200 -400 Fahrenheit- degrees for about half hour) and left on the counter so that they could cool a bit. I was in a mood for pasta. I looked at the roasted peppers, they looked at me. I said, what if I turn part of these peppers into a sauce. It could be like a basic tomato sauce, with slight differences. I could use heavy cream, if I had some. I only had some labaneh ('labne' in Turkish, a lighter version of cream cheese). The decision is made: Some of the roasted peppers are peeled, cleaned and put in a blender. The pasta is cooked, then garlic is sauteed in a bit of olive oil, then the roasted pepper puree is added, then some labaneh, a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then they became 'one'; pasta, cheese, garlic, peppers. Then I ate a bowl full, with some roasted pinenuts. I loved it so much. I had another bowl. I felt guilty. Oh yes, I did feel guilty but it wasn't my fault. The sauce was so out of this world!

1 comment:

Patricia Scarpin said...

What a beautiful photo, Tijen - I want to grab a spoon!