I once created a cooking class, called 'Zen in the Kitchen'. Then wrote a book called the same. Then started the group with that name and the blog came after. All this happened in Turkish. Now is the time for the English version of it. Let's see what will cook here!

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Good old pancake


Who doesn't have memories with pancakes? I do. Like the ones my roommate Heidi used to make, with her dad's recipe. Like the ones we made on the trip to Boston, in our old bus, with the Green Tortoise tour. Like the ones I made for my brother, when he didn't have an oven at home and when he asked for a cake or something sweet. So easy to make, such a great comfort food. Mine have apples and raisins and I used a mixture of flours (wholewheat and regular flour). I cut the apple (just one) in small pieces, I measured a quarter of a cup walnuts and 2 tablespoons raisins. One egg is required and I seperated the white. To the yellow of the egg, I added 3 tablespoons of grape molasses (you can use brown sugar instead), a cup of milk and a little olive oil. I mixed a little salt and 1 teaspoon of baking powder with the sifted flour and added the flour mixture to the batter. Last, I whipped the egg white, until it became like snow and added it too. You know what comes next, raisins, apples and walnuts. When they're all set, you just need to heat a pan, start by dropping a tablespoon of the batter. When it becomes bubbly, turn and cook the other side. If the pan is big, you can cook few of them together. Cook until you go through the whole batter and serve it by itself or with fruit or with jam or with marmelade or with honey or with maple syrup or with whatever you might want to eat with it. I love these simple comfort foods. Especially with a glass of tea, on a cold day...

1 comment:

Patricia Scarpin said...

The pancakes we have here in Brazil are savory - more like crepes, like are thin and filled with beef of chicken. Then you line them in a baking dish and spread tomato sauce or bechamel over them and serve.

Lately, because of the American culture being so spread here, we have become aware of this kind of pancakes. I'm a total convert. :)