I once created a cooking class, called 'Zen in the Kitchen'. Then wrote a book called the same. Then started the group with that name and the blog came after. All this happened in Turkish. Now is the time for the English version of it. Let's see what will cook here!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tevfik Usta


This morning, I went to my favorite place in Antalya. It is a simple pastry shop, which is open between 7-12 in the morning. Tevfik Usta, or Master Tevfik, has been making this Antalya specialty for over 40 years. He has two kinds of 'serpme börek' as said in Antalya, one with a ground meat filling, other with cheese filling. But you may have the cheese börek -which he makes with unsalted cheese- with powdered sugar as a dessert. So with that choice, you have three selections. Since I'm not a meat eater, I eat my cheese börek each time I go there. He knows how I like. Cheese, parsley and black pepper. Then he rolls my pastry, turns it few times on his hand to make it thinner, folds like an envelope, adds the filling, folds once more and bake until it gets crisp. Not only the börek he makes, but also the atmosphere is magical. I feel like I'm at home. I watch him make the pastries, mesmerized. Peace fills me while watching. My gift is the warm pastry and a glass of tea. Isn't that a wonderful way to start the day?

1 comment:

Deborah Dowd said...

What a beautiful blog! Not just the food but the writing makes me feel like we are talking across the kitchen table. I be visiting often!