I once created a cooking class, called 'Zen in the Kitchen'. Then wrote a book called the same. Then started the group with that name and the blog came after. All this happened in Turkish. Now is the time for the English version of it. Let's see what will cook here!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Who am I?

Researcher and writer on food, food culture, healthy eating and all related issues. Related issues include; folklore, botany, ethnography, customs and so on. Six published books, unfortunately all in Turkish. Translated 4 books from English to Turkish. Have been writing for newspapers and magazines on food and the related issues as mentioned above. Contact me if you need any info. on Turkey, Turkish food and/or share info on food. Finalist on the Gourmand Cookbook Awards for the last 2 years. Last year on the 'single subject cookbooks' category with my book on the wild edible greens, fruits and aromatic plants, 'The Tale of Wild Greens'. The book includes over 70 edible plants that are grown in Turkey, their uses, local and latin names, recipes made with them (some local, some my creation, some international). This year I'm again a finalist on the same category, this time with the book called 'Stories from a Fruit Tree'. As the name explains, this time the book is on the fruits that are grown and sold in Turkey. I could collect 66 fruits that are grown wildly or not. The list is quite long and versatile. So much to say to start with but I guess it's late for me. Especially after a long day in Istanbul is tiring enough. The food I had today, what I want to do at this site and all others will come soon. Stay with us! As the tv channels say...

5 comments:

Isil Simsek said...

Tijen,
I'm so happy that you started to write in English as well.Can't wait to see what's cooking here.

Tijen said...

thanks dear..
hope we'll share a lot with our foreign friends too..
tijen

Anonymous said...

You have a fabulous job.
I use edible wild greens that grow in my yard, incorporate them into numerous dishes that I prepare. :-)

Duygu Unal said...

It is so exciting that my Canadian friends will be able to read your articles!!! This blog - What a great idea :)
duygu

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Gay fraternity orgies gangbang belgie